Spicy Singapore Fried Noodles (Squid and vegetables)
Singapore Fried Noodle is a flavorful curried noodle dish, packed with vegetables and meat/ sea food. It’s available in many local Chinese cuisines and it’s my favorite item on the menu. This recipe will bring you the closet to the same delicious
noodle dish that you are familiar with a twist of squid. You can substitute squid with Shrimp or chicken, but I just love the flavors from curried squid in the noodles. I hope you will like the recipe. Singapore
5 1⁄3 oz rice noodles soaked in cold water for at least 15 minutes prior to cooking
1 lb Squid
5 1⁄3 oz pork, cubed (chicken will do as well)
1 fl oz rice wine or white wine
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp fish sauce
½ tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp corn starch
2 fl oz vegetable oil
½ onion sliced
1 handful bean sprouts
2 carrots (thinly sliced)
2 spring onions (thinly sliced)
1 red bell pepper
½ red peppers sliced
2 cloves garlic minced
2 eggs whisked
1 ½ tbsp curry powder
salt and white pepper
few sprigs of coriander for garnish
1.Wash and drain squid tubes. Score in a crosshatch pattern and cut into 2 cm square pieces
2. Add Squid into a bowl and combine the soy sauce, the fish sauce, the rice wine, and the corn starch. Mix together thoroughly and leave it to marinade for at least 10 minutes.
3. Add olive oil to the already hot wok. Add the squid with as little of the marinade as possible and cook for a minute or two.
4.When everything is more or less cooked, add the marinade, continue to cook for a few seconds more and then remove the Squid from the wok. Place it onto a tray while leaving the wok on the heat.
5.Now add a more little oil to the wok and introduce the onions, cooking them for a half minute or so. Next, add the red pepper, carrots, garlic, spring onions, bean sprouts and stir. Cook together briefly and remove from the heat.
6. Place the vegetables on the tray beside the Squid.
7. Again, add a little oil to the hot wok. Add the egg and stir briskly. Now add the noodles (without adding the water) and stir. Next, combine the curry powder, sugar, season with salt and pepper and stir again.
8. Finally, add the vegetables and squid to the wok. Toss everything together, cooking just enough to blend the flavors and warm everything through.
9. Garnish and serve hot.