Sri Lankan Fish Cutlets
|Crispy Fish Cutlets (Sri Lankan)|
This Fish Cutlet recipe is among the finest and easy to make Sri Lankan fish recipes. If you ever go to any sri-lankan restaurants, you will find this fish cutlets listed along with many delicious sea food based appetizers. If you are looking a versatile dish to make it at home, this is the simplest of the cutlets. It’s made out of boiled potatoes /Tuna and spices; all mixed together to make an oval shaped balls, then dipped in egg white , bread crumbs and deep fried them.Even though original recipe calls for deep frying, you can always broil them to eat healthy. As per Tuna chunks, you may select any variety of Tuna brand, I have used Bumble Bee tuna chunks in water for this recipe. You can enjoy this flavorful appetizer with any hot sauce, Chutney or dip.
For the Tuna mix:
2 medium potatoes, cubed
2 tins of tuna chunks, drained
½ medium red onion, chopped finely
2 – 3 green chilies, chopped finely, deseeded
4 - 5 curry leaves, shredded
½ tsp black pepper, freshly ground
1 tsp or more chili powder
½ tsp coriander powder
½ tsp cumin powder
½ tsp Lime juice to taste
4 tbsp plain bread crumbs for coating
2 medium egg whites beaten
Oil for deep frying
1. Boil the potatoes until soft. When they’re done, drain the potatoes and leave to cool in the sieve. You want the water from the potatoes to evaporate, so do leave them for long enough.
2. In the meanwhile, prepare the remaining ingredients except for the salt and lime juice, and mix them in a bowl. When the potatoes have cooled down, mash them and add to the mixture in the bowl. Add the lime juice and salt to taste.
3. Sprinkle a little olive oil in a pan and sauté the mixer for 10 mins and let it cool.
4. Take about a golf-ball sized amount of mixture and roll it into a ball. Next dip the ball into the egg, and then into bread crumbs. Do all the cutlets in this way.
5. Pour oil into a deep pan, or a wok and put on medium high. You’ll need enough oil for deep frying.The oil is hot enough when it sizzles when you insert a wooden spoon inside.
6. Fry the cutlets for a few min on each side, until they’re heated through and the coating is cooked.