Roast Chicken With Honey Mustard Glaze and Autumn Roasted vegetables
Note: I have followed the recipe from Christy Rost (Television chef and author) to make the Autumn Roasted Vegetable dish. Please visit Christy Rost's site for this delicious and healthy vegetable recipe.
Ingredients: Roast Chicken
1 roasting chicken, about 4 to 5 pounds
2 tablespoons cold butter
1 clove garlic, finely minced
Salt and pepper
Fresh basil leaves
Sprigs and leaves of fresh herbs, such as thyme, rosemary, and basil, optional
2 tablespoons Honey
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 tablespoon melted butter
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup water
- Heat oven to 350° and Rinse the chicken inside and out.
- Remove any excess fat and leftover pin feathers and pat the outside dry. Liberally salt and pepper the inside of the chicken.
- Sprinkle the chicken and cavity with salt and pepper. Using fingers to slide under the skin gently loosen skin over the chicken breasts and legs. Mix butter with garlic; spread butter evenly under the skin, then tuck whole basil leaves under the skin.
- Put some herbs in the cavity of the chicken. Tie the legs together with kitchen string and tuck the wing tips under the body of the chicken. Line a roasting pan with foil or spray lightly with nonstick cooking spray and place the chicken in there.
- In another bowl, combine the honey with mustard, chili powder, and melted butter. Set aside.
- Roast the chicken for 15 to 20 minutes per pound, or until chicken registers about 165° when an instant-read thermometer is inserted into the thickest part of the thigh. Brush the chicken with the honey mustard glaze mixture and continue roasting for 10 minutes longer, brushing a few more times with glaze.
- Remove the chicken to a platter and cover with aluminum foil for about 20 minutes. Slice the chicken onto a platter and serve it with the roasted vegetables.
- Spoon off any fat from the pan juices. Stir the wine in the roasting pan and heat over medium-high heat to a boil, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Stir in the water and cook until the mixture is hot and bubbling. Serve the gravy with the chicken.